Volcanoes of Ambrym - the Grand Traverse
- 8-days volcano expedition to Ambrym - individual departures & group tours -
- spend one full week on Ambrym
- 4 craters: Mbuwelesu, Niri Mbuwelesu, Mamboen Niri Mbuwelesu (Marum), Benbow
- Frequently active lava lakes of Marum and Benbow
- Spectacular tropical and lunar landscapes of the giant Ambrym caldera
- Magical traditional dances
- Traditions and culture of the Nivane people
- Visit of a magnificient waterfall
- Highly experienced guides and trained staff
- Accompanying volcanologist
Itinerary - 1 week on Ambrym
For an expedition like this, any program presented must be considered indicative: unexpected changes in flight schedules, volcanic and weather conditions etc. could make modifications in the actual itinerary necessary. In particular, it could result in that the return to Port Vila must be anticipated by one day. In this (unlikely) case, the additional day on Efate would be dedicated to a scenic round trip around Efate.
On request, modifications are possible as well - e.g. to spend one more day inside the caldera and one day less in Toak (although we highly recommend the presented itinerary).
Arrival at the Airport of Port Vila & transfer to Port Vila town.
Morning departure from Efate (Port Vila) to Ambrym (chartered plane) with scenic flight time over Lopevi volcano and the Ambrym caldera.
Meeting with the exceptional family of your guide and transfer in the village with one stop to the hot springs of sesivi with a refreshment at the ocean shore. Welcome ceremony. Afternoon & evening to discover the village.
Hike and ascent into the caldera. Installation of the base camp, picnic lunch with traditional food and hike to discover Marum volcano.
Expedition to the crater of Benbow with its usually active lava lakes. Descend (abseiling) into its crater optional, conditions permitting (trained guides assist you with professional equipment). Return to the base camp in the evening.
2 more days in the Ambrym caldera to discover Marum and Benbow inside the large Ambrym caldera in order to maximize photo / video opportunities.
Cross the entire caldera and descend to the east coast of the island to the charming and unspoiled village of Endu on the east coast, where you'll be welcomed with lots of smiles. A welcome ceremony and a wonderful local dinnerwait for you.
Two full days to discover the traditional culture and life of the village: visit the schools, see dances, magic, medicine, local crafts and assist the preparation of the pig - the highest of ceremonial meals.
Transfer early morning to Toak or Penapo village; views of Lopevi stratovolcano. Discover the famous tradition and art of sand-drawing of Toak, a declared Unesco immaterial heritage.
On the way to the airport, visit lava tubes in Penapo; refreshment and flight back to Port Vila. After transfer to the previous hotel, group dinner in a seaside restaurant.
We recommend to add at least one day for a comfortable, but very interesting guided round tour on Efate. This suggested extension will round out the trip and result in the following 9-days version of the Ambrym expedition.
Group size: 4-10
Duration: 8-9 days
Dates:20-29 May 2018
22-31 Jul 2018
23 Sep - 2 Oct 2018
Price (p.p.): 2640 € ?
- Experienced specialist guide appointed by VolcanoDiscovery
- Group tours: geologist / volcanologist guide from our team
- 2 teams of guides and porters
- 1 porter per person for own gear (in addition to porters for the camp); additional porters can be arranged at extra cost
- Experienced cooks and camp hands
- All accommodation as specified in family-run guesthouses (double occupancy) (4 nights), camp inside the caldera (3 nights) and in a nice hotel on Efate (1 night)
- Camp kitchen equipment
- Activities and excursions as per program
- Full board including drinking water, tea & coffee, fresh juices
- Safety equipment (static rope, ascenders and accessories) for the optional abseiling descend into Benbow crater
- All entry fees and village right fees
- All transfers by land and sea on Ambrym and Efate
- Domestic return flight Port Vila - Ambrym (charter flights available at surcharge)
Tour guide:The group is accompanied by very experienced cooks and porters guided by a competent and specialized guide from Ambrym who knows the island better than anyone else. On demand, an accompanying volcanologist from our team can join your expedition.
This adventure starts and ends in Port Vila on Efate Island, Vanuatu's capital. The day of departure is depending on the domestic flight schedule of AirVanuatu (alternatively: charter flights). It is both a perfect stand-alone program if you only have limited time to visit Vanuatu and follow the priciple "less is more", or can be combined with visits to other islands, e.g. Tanna with active Yasur volcano - for example, our program "Yasur Volcano Adventure".